The only place where you store your confidential data and information is your personal computer. However the issue is that if proper measures are not taken by you then all your important data can get lost or damaged. The only solution for proper protecting of your files is the encryption softwares. There are many encryption softwares which you can find provided by well-known companies. There are many types of encryptions as well hence the subject requires a lot of discussion. In this article we will discuss the encryption hard drives. We hope that the article will serve as a source of knowledge enrichment for the masses.
Encrypting of Hard drive: Windows
You should not get confused with the term “hard drive encryption on window” as the process is very similar to the encryption of folders and files of individual nature. Though there are many types of software that can be utilized for encrypting of hard drive on Windows however the one which we have taken into consideration in this article is TrueCrypt. The hardware encryption steps via TrueCrypt are as follows
• First of all begin the TrueCrypt and once it has started make the volume button
• Select the “Encrypt the System Partition or Entire System Drive” which you can easily see on the wizard’s first screen
• You have to select “Normal” as soon as the next screen opens
• The next thing which you need to do is “Encrypt the Whole Drive”. In case your drive contains other partitions and if you do not want them to get encrypted then in such a case select the first option
• The wizard will ask you regarding the encryption of host protected area. Our personal advice to you in this regard is to choose the “NO” option. You can choose the other option if you have a concrete reason for it
• “Single boot” should be chosen by you in the case where there is only one operating system in your particular computer.
• As soon as the next screen comes, you should select the algorithm for encryption. Though other options are also available however in most of the cases AES is a nice option to go for.
• Make a password for yourself, ensure that the password is strong enough as that will contribute towards the savior of your files
• Follow the instructions that will come on the next screen
• The next thing which you should do is select the TrueCrypt Rescue Disk’s location
• After saving the file , you can also burn it on a DVD or CD
• It is advisable that you should select the wipe mode as far as your data is concerned
• The System Encryption Pretest should be run on the next screen, this may require restarting of your computer as well
In case of successful running, encryption options will be open to you.
These were some major steps involved in Encrypting of Hard drive on Windows
The basic reason why encryption is done is to protect the data and to only allow authorized people as far as viewing of the data is concerned. Of coursein case of encryption, apart from authorized people no other person can view the data. Different encryption methodologies are being applied by different people nowadays as per their requirements.
As mentioned above there are many various encryption methods available nowadays as a lot of study and development has taken place in this technology as well. In this article our topic of discussion is the PGP method encryption. The method is in most of the cases utilized by business officials and major organizations. PGP basically means “Pretty Good Privacy”. The Method was created back in the year 1991 and the name of the developer was Phil Zimmermann. Though the method remains one of the most famous encryption methods however throughout the years several changes have been made in it.
Just to give you some basics about encryption, the data which is normal and which is also readable is called as plaintext while on the other hand data which is encrypted is referred to as ciphertext.Needless to say complex algorithms are applied to convert the plaintext into ciphertext. The type and number of algorithms to be utilized differ as per the adopted encryption method.
Benefits of PGP Encryption
Explaining the whole PGP encryption methodology will be pretty complex and for a person like you who is a layman, it is also not that much important for you. The thing which is important for you are the benefits, which you can gain through PGP Encryption. These benefits are as follows
– The information which is considered valuable by you is always under protection and nobody can view or steal it from you
– The information can very easily be shared with other individuals or groups and company departments as well
– Easy to ascertain the reason and origin of the email
– The PGP encryption can work with all email applications and there are no compatibility issues
– Verification is received by you regarding the information sender
– There is complete surety of “no modification” related to information which you receive or send
– Nobody can alter the files without your knowledge
– The PGP encryption is complaint with privacy legislations and legislations related to data protection as well
– Protection against viruses and other such threats are very much their
– Your data such as text and email is completely secured from hackers and alike
– The smaller files are always compressed before the encryption process which helps in the overall sending of the files
The PGP encryption as explained already is extensively used in the market nowadays and the prime reason behind its wide usage are the benefits which have been listed above. If you are running a company or an enterprise then PGP encryption is the way forward for you. what we have mentioned is just the tip of an iceberg as the real benefits will be enjoyed by you through physical application if the methodology.
The world in which we live, most of the everyday tasks are done online. This means that all the data that is online is at constant risk of being stolen or exposed. This is where the need for encryption arises, although encryption is something that is not applied everywhere just because most people do not need it. The word encryption itself refers to the process through which all messages, files and other important data are encoded in such a way that all the contents are secure. No one can understand an encrypted message until and unless it is first decoded and only that person has access to the contents that has the key. This means that encryption is something that is quite important especially when you consider that there are constant online threats like hacking and identity theft.
Whole File Encrypting
Many people today use the internet today and if you are using the internet to share information with others then encrypting your data is highly recommended. When a person uses third party software in order to encrypt an entire file then it is known as whole file encryption. Such a software uses a complicated process in which the algorithm rearranges all the contents of the file in such a way that it is impossible to read. This software or program also provides the user with a key that allows him to easily decrypt the data and this access key is restricted to authorized people only.
Client Side Encrypting
Client side encrypting is nothing like whole file encrypting. This is because client side encrypting is a process which is used to protect all the data on a computer that is connected to a server through a bunch of networks. When data is being transferred between computers then there is a chance that the data is intercepted before it reaches through. When there are such threats then client side encrypting is the way to go.
Method Of Decrypting An Encrypted File
The first that everyone needs in order to decrypt an encrypted file is the original algorithm that was used in the first place to encrypt the file. However, when a software is used for encryption then you need the same software for decryption as well. This is because the software will be able to easily decrypt the encrypted data.
These were a few things that you should know about the importance of encryption. Almost everything that we do today is done online and that is why there is a constant threat of theft and hacking. That is why it is important to encrypt every bit of information so that it cannot be stolen easily. With the help of data encryption all of that data can be protected and kept safe. The need for data encryption is rising day by day because most computers are connected through servers and some data is being transferred through the servers at all instances. This is the reason why encryption is becoming such an important part of our world.
Encryption has become one of the most important things today, this is because a lot of data today is stored online and it is important to keep all of that data safe. With the help of encryption that is made possible and all of that data that is stored online is made safer. Encryption is a process in which an algorithm changes the arrangement of the files in such a way that it is made unreadable. Almost all of us use one or the other Email service like Gmail or Outlook. When we use those websites, then we send and receive many important documents and we would not want them to get misused. That is the reason why we need email encryption.
When we talk about email encryption then we are talking about a different style of encryption. There are two types of encryptions, one is whole file encrypting and the other is client side encrypting.When a person uses third party software in order to encrypt an entire file then it is known as whole file encryption. Such a software uses a complicated process in which the algorithm rearranges all the contents of the file in such a way that it is impossible to read. This software or program also provides the user with a key that allows him to easily decrypt the data and this access key is restricted to authorized people only.
The other is client side encrypting, and it is very different from the latter. This is because client side encrypting is a process which is used to protect all the data on a computer that is connected to a server through a bunch of networks. When data is being transferred between computers then there is a chance that the data is intercepted before it reaches through. When there are such threats then client side encrypting is the way to go.
Email encrypting uses client side encrypting, this is because email services basically connect various computers through servers on various networks. Different types of information and files are sent and received through emails that is why all of that important data needs to be protected.
Data protection has always been something difficult and it is an issue which is being faced by everyone. There are many data protection techniques available which one can apply in order to safe his or her important files. A common technique which most of the people use nowadays is coding and this coding is done on the notepad file. The coding helps the users in the creation of a folder which is encrypted and where the users can safe their important documentations. The folder also allows the users to lock the file via password. Still this technique is not 100% surety that your data will be safe as there are many cracks that can break your security through decoding and cracking of the password.These were a few things that you should know about email encryption.