There is no country in the world where computers are not used nowadays; in fact every field of sciences is using computers in one way or another. There are many well-known brands which are known for providing personal computers. However while using the computers it is highly essential that your files must be encrypted. Encryption provides protection to your files and ensures that your necessary documents are not stolen or destroyed. You usually store your confidential information, whether it is medical files, office work and assignments on your computers. You surely need to protect your important documents and for that encryption is very necessary for you.
One of the most famous and advanced security application is Encrypt Stick. The Encrypt Stick is basically portable software which has the ability to convert the USB flash drive into a vault of personal nature. The software also makes the USB flash drive your key for security and access to the private files. Operating the Encrypt Stick requires the USB flash drive which is serial numbered. As a user the Encrypt Stick helps you in creating unlimited encrypted vaults (invisible) on hard drives which are removable and computers which are unlimited.
USB Drive and Encrypt Stick
In a small USB you can carry all your important information in your pocket. But imagine if there is a hole in your pocket? Of course such a hole will put your USB and information in it at risk. The Encrypt Stick is the software which has the ability to equip your USB drive with an encrypted vault which ultimately results in safe transportation of data.
An Important Thing!
Once you have activated the Encrypt Stick on a USB drive then after this you cannot transfer it to another USB drive. Moreover before you decide to install the Encrypt Stick it is highly essential that you purchase for yourself a USB drive which is high in quality and whose storage capacity is also high. The windows and Mac versions of the Encrypt Stick can also be installed by you on the similar USB so that you may be able to get access to your protected files through both the platforms. Once the downloading of the Encrypt Stick is done, the second thing which you need to do is the creation of encrypted vault.
The major benefits which you can gain from Encrypt Stick are as follows
– The download updates are free
– There is no need of an administrator access
– The running and setup of the software does not take more than 5 minutes
– The overall usage of the software is very easy
– The software is compatible with vista, XP, windows7 and 2000
– The software runs from your flash drive rather than the computer
– The overall speed of encryption is very fast
– Storage Capacity(Vault) is encrypted
Get your hands on the Encrypt Stick if you want quality encryption of your personal data and files.
The only place where you store your confidential data and information is your personal computer. However the issue is that if proper measures are not taken by you then all your important data can get lost or damaged. The only solution for proper protecting of your files is the encryption softwares. There are many encryption softwares which you can find provided by well-known companies. There are many types of encryptions as well hence the subject requires a lot of discussion. In this article we will discuss the encryption hard drives. We hope that the article will serve as a source of knowledge enrichment for the masses.
Encrypting of Hard drive: Windows
You should not get confused with the term “hard drive encryption on window” as the process is very similar to the encryption of folders and files of individual nature. Though there are many types of software that can be utilized for encrypting of hard drive on Windows however the one which we have taken into consideration in this article is TrueCrypt. The hardware encryption steps via TrueCrypt are as follows
• First of all begin the TrueCrypt and once it has started make the volume button
• Select the “Encrypt the System Partition or Entire System Drive” which you can easily see on the wizard’s first screen
• You have to select “Normal” as soon as the next screen opens
• The next thing which you need to do is “Encrypt the Whole Drive”. In case your drive contains other partitions and if you do not want them to get encrypted then in such a case select the first option
• The wizard will ask you regarding the encryption of host protected area. Our personal advice to you in this regard is to choose the “NO” option. You can choose the other option if you have a concrete reason for it
• “Single boot” should be chosen by you in the case where there is only one operating system in your particular computer.
• As soon as the next screen comes, you should select the algorithm for encryption. Though other options are also available however in most of the cases AES is a nice option to go for.
• Make a password for yourself, ensure that the password is strong enough as that will contribute towards the savior of your files
• Follow the instructions that will come on the next screen
• The next thing which you should do is select the TrueCrypt Rescue Disk’s location
• After saving the file , you can also burn it on a DVD or CD
• It is advisable that you should select the wipe mode as far as your data is concerned
• The System Encryption Pretest should be run on the next screen, this may require restarting of your computer as well
In case of successful running, encryption options will be open to you.
These were some major steps involved in Encrypting of Hard drive on Windows
The basic reason why encryption is done is to protect the data and to only allow authorized people as far as viewing of the data is concerned. Of coursein case of encryption, apart from authorized people no other person can view the data. Different encryption methodologies are being applied by different people nowadays as per their requirements.
As mentioned above there are many various encryption methods available nowadays as a lot of study and development has taken place in this technology as well. In this article our topic of discussion is the PGP method encryption. The method is in most of the cases utilized by business officials and major organizations. PGP basically means “Pretty Good Privacy”. The Method was created back in the year 1991 and the name of the developer was Phil Zimmermann. Though the method remains one of the most famous encryption methods however throughout the years several changes have been made in it.
Just to give you some basics about encryption, the data which is normal and which is also readable is called as plaintext while on the other hand data which is encrypted is referred to as ciphertext.Needless to say complex algorithms are applied to convert the plaintext into ciphertext. The type and number of algorithms to be utilized differ as per the adopted encryption method.
Benefits of PGP Encryption
Explaining the whole PGP encryption methodology will be pretty complex and for a person like you who is a layman, it is also not that much important for you. The thing which is important for you are the benefits, which you can gain through PGP Encryption. These benefits are as follows
– The information which is considered valuable by you is always under protection and nobody can view or steal it from you
– The information can very easily be shared with other individuals or groups and company departments as well
– Easy to ascertain the reason and origin of the email
– The PGP encryption can work with all email applications and there are no compatibility issues
– Verification is received by you regarding the information sender
– There is complete surety of “no modification” related to information which you receive or send
– Nobody can alter the files without your knowledge
– The PGP encryption is complaint with privacy legislations and legislations related to data protection as well
– Protection against viruses and other such threats are very much their
– Your data such as text and email is completely secured from hackers and alike
– The smaller files are always compressed before the encryption process which helps in the overall sending of the files
The PGP encryption as explained already is extensively used in the market nowadays and the prime reason behind its wide usage are the benefits which have been listed above. If you are running a company or an enterprise then PGP encryption is the way forward for you. what we have mentioned is just the tip of an iceberg as the real benefits will be enjoyed by you through physical application if the methodology.
The world in which we live, most of the everyday tasks are done online. This means that all the data that is online is at constant risk of being stolen or exposed. This is where the need for encryption arises, although encryption is something that is not applied everywhere just because most people do not need it. The word encryption itself refers to the process through which all messages, files and other important data are encoded in such a way that all the contents are secure. No one can understand an encrypted message until and unless it is first decoded and only that person has access to the contents that has the key. This means that encryption is something that is quite important especially when you consider that there are constant online threats like hacking and identity theft.
Whole File Encrypting
Many people today use the internet today and if you are using the internet to share information with others then encrypting your data is highly recommended. When a person uses third party software in order to encrypt an entire file then it is known as whole file encryption. Such a software uses a complicated process in which the algorithm rearranges all the contents of the file in such a way that it is impossible to read. This software or program also provides the user with a key that allows him to easily decrypt the data and this access key is restricted to authorized people only.
Client Side Encrypting
Client side encrypting is nothing like whole file encrypting. This is because client side encrypting is a process which is used to protect all the data on a computer that is connected to a server through a bunch of networks. When data is being transferred between computers then there is a chance that the data is intercepted before it reaches through. When there are such threats then client side encrypting is the way to go.
Method Of Decrypting An Encrypted File
The first that everyone needs in order to decrypt an encrypted file is the original algorithm that was used in the first place to encrypt the file. However, when a software is used for encryption then you need the same software for decryption as well. This is because the software will be able to easily decrypt the encrypted data.
These were a few things that you should know about the importance of encryption. Almost everything that we do today is done online and that is why there is a constant threat of theft and hacking. That is why it is important to encrypt every bit of information so that it cannot be stolen easily. With the help of data encryption all of that data can be protected and kept safe. The need for data encryption is rising day by day because most computers are connected through servers and some data is being transferred through the servers at all instances. This is the reason why encryption is becoming such an important part of our world.